Monday, April 2, 2012

Day 2: Yoda Does POTS (favorite quote)

Challenge: Quotation Inspiration. Find a quote that inspires you (either positively or negatively) and free write about it for 15 minutes.

Well, this was a really really easy pick for me - I have an absolute favorite quote that I have both a love and hate relationship with in terms of my chronic illness, POTS.


 Drum roll......

My quote comes from a little green man who has inspired me my whole life. His name is Yoda.

"Try not. Do, or do not.  There is no try."

I even found a nice graphical illustration for the quote:




Why I love this quote:

It's completely true.  There really is no try.  You either do something, or you don't.  I'm not TRYING to oversimplify, I actually AM oversimplifying.   

The definition of try is (according to the The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language):

try  (tr): To make an effort to do or accomplish (something); attempt: tried to ski.


Why I hate this quote: 

It leaves no room for excuses, and I admit I still fancy a good excuse once in a while.



"Trying" to me implies failure.  

"Did you do your physical therapy exercises today?"

"I TRIED, but I wasn't able to." 

What that means in my life is that I actually DID three or four reps, felt like my heart was pounding out of my chest and my muscles were spasming painfully, and I stopped.   So I didn't just try, I did it.  I did not fail.  I did not complete the entire task or goal, but I DID something.

If I skipped doing my PT all together, than I did not try, or DO any PT.  And there is nothing wrong with that.  Some days I can't even get out of bed for much of the day, and can barely make it to the restroom.  I have to consider what to spend my limited energy on, as I have a 7 month old that I care for alone while my husband is working, and a four year old that I like to be functional enough to hang out with in the evening when he gets home.

I know that on bad days, "trying" much of anything will land me in even worse shape for a week afterwards.  I have learned to trust my body, and push my limits when appropriate, and DO when appropriate - but I have finally gotten to a place where I am ok with not doing as well.  

And there is no try.    Simple as that.


No comments:

Post a Comment